There was no Rectory in East Carleton until 1880, but later when the village no longer had its own Rector, it was sold and became a Residential Home (Carleton House).Church Cottage, close to the church, is most likely to be the oldest property in the village. Formerly it would have been one residence but was converted into three cottages in the 19th century due to the rapid growth in population and is now a single residence again. Walnut Tree Cottage, on the opposite side of the road, was another property that went through a similar.
The Manor House and about 120 acres was bought by Philip Tindal-Carill-Worsley in 1924. Mr Tindal Carill-Worsley had a house built on the estate which became known as The Dower House and he and his family moved into that. Today it is called Carleton Hall. During the 2nd World War the Manor House was occupied by the Army and later Wallace Kings, a local furniture company, used it to store stock there. It was also used to store local farm produce. Mr Tindal Carill-Worsley kept coypus – a beaver like rodent that was bred for it’s desirable, brown fur that were used to produce a host of fur accessories, coats etc as was fashionable in the 1920’s and 30’s. He also had a silver fox farm on his land for a similar purpose. He died in 1946 and Mr & Mrs McKinnes Skinner purchased the estate, keeping chickens and then pigs. The Manor House was in a poor state and the McKinnes Skinners had it pulled down in the 1950’s The present East Carleton Manor was built for the late Colin Chapman, founder of Lotus Cars, and his wife Hazel in 1968/69. Colin Chapman died in 1982 and is buried in the village churchyard.
East Carleton had been a self sufficient village in the 19th and early 20th centuries, having the Church, a shop, shoemaker, blacksmith, butcher and a small abattoir and earlier a beer house. Many young ladies were dressmakers, and a large number of the men worked on the land. Today, of these establishments, only the Church remains.
The Lodge in Catbridge Lane, together with about 60 acres, was owned by Lord Lindley. He was one of East Carleton’s most distinguished residents and a generous benefactor to the village. He was a very successful judge and became Master of the Rolls and Lord of Appeal. After Lord Lindley's death at the end of 1920, The Lodge was sold and after a few years a Mr W Lloyd bought it together with 60 acres. There was also a farmhouse here and the land was farmed for a variety of crops. Mr Lloyd sold The Lodge, had a new house built on part of the remaining 60 acres and moved in there. After he left the village The Grove, as it had become known, was purchased by the Scott family, and after Mr Scott’s sudden death, Laurence Scott Electromotors used it to store their files in relative safety, away from the bombing of Norwich and later as a place for staff to rest and recuperate. It was sold to the Leonard Cheshire Foundation in late 1961, being their 3rd home and began taking residents in 1962.
The earliest mention of a school in East Carleton was on a Tithe Map of 1848 which showed that the small building, later called the Reading Room, was where boys and girls went to school, probably for a small charge. The school was later replaced by a new one built to accommodate 60 children at the corner formerly known as Pound Corner, later the Business Centre. This closed as a school in 1963.